Saturday, September 20, 2008

Sweet and Sour Chicken

This is another recipe from my sister-in-law and is one that we enjoy a lot. As you can see from the picture, I like to serve it with fried rice. But just a warning, my fried rice is nothing compared to Paul's! But, I will give it points for quick and easy.

Dinners 063

Ingredients:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts*
Lemon pepper or black pepper
garlic powder
salt
1/2 c. cornstarch
2 eggs
Sauce:
1/2 c. sugar
3 tbsp. ketchup
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 c. vinegar
1/4 c. chicken broth
1 tsp. salt

Directions:
Mix batter (pepper, garlic, salt, cornstarch, eggs). Dip chicken pieces into batter, fry in oil until golden brown. Mix sauce. Place chicken in baking pan and pour sauce over chicken. Bake 30 minutes at 350. Turn over once during baking.

*When I make this I cut my chicken breasts in a few pieces and then pound them until they're a bit thinner (I have been trying to stretch our meat lately).
*I also recommend serving some sauce on the side for dipping.

Fried rice: I feel dumb posting how I make my fried rice when more than one of you have a better recipe for fried rice. But, I make it this way because it's quick and easy and I like how it tastes.

I just heat a little oil in a pan. I then add some chopped green onions and minced garlic. After a couple minutes I add the frozen peas and carrots (if you use fresh carrots, grate them and add them with the onion). Then I add the rice and one scrambled egg. I let that fry up for a couple minutes and then I add some soy sauce for flavor (however much you like). The end!

2 comments:

Jennie said...

I have made this recipe twice, and mine didn't look nearly as good as yours either time. :) It tasted good, though.

Jennie said...

You know, I'd just like to add, your fried rice is very similar to Paul's. You shouldn't feel like yours isn't as good. It's basically the same recipe with a few tweaks, and it's always good to tweak recipes for your own purposes!