Friday, September 5, 2008

Blueberry Coffee Cake

I have made this coffee cake a couple times and I love the flavor and it is so moist! The only thing is I have never taken a picture of it. So the picture here is from the website that I got this recipe from (dineandish.net). When I make the recipe, my blueberries sink to the bottom and it doesn't look nearly as pretty. I don't remember at all how I found that website and she said that she got this recipe from Cooking LIght. So now that all credit is given where credit is due...

Blueberrycake

Blueberry Coffee Cake

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1 1/3 cups low-fat buttermilk
cooking spray
2 cups fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon turbinado sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Place granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 2 minutes). Add vanilla, egg, and egg white; beat well. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix after each addition. Spoon half of the batter into a 9-inch round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with 1 cup blueberries. Spoon remaining batter over the blueberries; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 cup blueberries. Sprinkle the top evenly with 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

* I used brown sugar instead of turbinado sugar and it's great that way! I, strangely, don't keep turbinado sugar on hand.
* I also buy the smallest buttermilk (which happens to be 1 cup) and then I add regular milk for the remaining 1/3 cup. I don't use buttermilk very much, so I didn't want leftovers.
* When I remove mine from the pan I put a plate on top and then flip it over and then put a plate over that and flip it again to make it face up. Like I said, my blueberries sunk to the bottom, so I couldn't really just cool mine on a cooling rack so I put the plate on the rack :).
* The first time I made it mine was undercooked. Make sure the toothpick comes out clean. Yum!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Looks yummy! I can't wait to try it. :)