Saturday, September 13, 2008

French Breakfast Puffs!

I decided I wanted to bake something yummy for breakfast this morning. :) I really wanted to make these, but I didn't have the vanilla yogurt they called for, so I couldn't. (By the way, check out that blog (Baked Perfection)! She has baked some really delicious looking things. I'm going to try a lot of them.) When I found out I couldn't make the recipe I wanted, I went to allrecipes.com to search for something similar and found this recipe.

French Breakfast Puffs


Ingredients:

Muffins:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup butter (the recipe called for shortening, but I used butter and they were very good)
1 egg
1/2 capful of vanilla (not in the original recipe, but almost every baked good can use a bit of vanilla for flavor :) )
1/2 cup milk

Topping:
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons margarine, melted

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 12 muffin cups with paper liners (or grease 12 muffin cups). The original recipe calls for you to mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg) together in a separate bowl, but I'm always too lazy to do this. ;) Cream together butter and sugar in a medium bowl. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk. (Since I don't mix mine separately, I added the small ones first (baking powder, salt, and nutmeg), then half the flour, then the milk, and then the last half of flour.) Spoon batter into the muffin cups. Bake for 20-25 minutes. While the muffins are baking, melt the butter for the topping in one bowl and mix together the sugar and cinnamon in another bowl. When the muffins are done, remove them from the pan and immediately dip the top of each one in the butter and then the cinnamon-sugar. (They're really hot, so be careful.) Serve warm.

They were very fluffy and quite tasty! I would definitely make them again. In case you prefer official wording or just want the original recipe, you can find it here.

1 comment:

Paula said...

I can't wait to try these...they look delicious!