Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Soft Gingersnaps

I've been feeling festive because of the crisp fall weather here, and I wanted to try making gingersnaps. I prefer them soft, so if you're like me, this recipe is for you! I found it at allrecipes.com. They turned out really yummy, though I undercooked the first batch because I was paranoid I would overcook them.


Soft Gingersnaps
Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. (3 sticks) butter (no substitutes), softened
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c. molasses
4 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
3 t. baking soda
2 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. ground ginger
1 t. ground cloves
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
additional sugar (to roll the cookies in)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in molasses. Add spices, baking soda, and salt and mix well. Then add the flour and mix well. (As you might guess, the recipe has you mix the dry ingredients separately, but you know me, I'm an impatient baker.) If the dough is too sticky, you may want to refrigerate it for a bit (the recipe says to refrigerate it for an hour...again, I'm too impatient). I just put mine in the fridge between batches. It wasn't too hard to work with. Roll dough into 1 inch balls, and then roll them in sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-12 minutes. It takes some experimentation to get them perfectly baked. Ten minutes worked just right for me and my oven. I just waited until there were large cracks in the cookies.

Here's a link to the original recipe: Soft Gingersnaps.

1 comment:

Paula said...

Your cookies always look so perfect! I can't get over it. I am definitely craving those cookies now.