Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Ground Beef Stroganoff

This recipe came from the Budge Family Recipe Book, submitted by Barbara Howell. I believe she is a great aunt, but you should still feel privileged to be given this recipe. You know, being a family heirloom practically. Eli and I both loved it. I did make a few changes though. I used a lot of low-fat or lite ingredients. Oh! I also made it with ground turkey instead. Like I said, delicious!
Ground Beef (or turkey) Stroganoff
Ingredients:
1/2 c chopped onion
1 small clove garlic, minced
1 TBSP butter or margarine
1 LB ground beef (or turkey)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp monosodium glutamate (I used Accent)
1/4 tsp paprika
1 c sliced mushrooms (I skipped this one)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (the healthy request)
1 c sour cream (fat-free)
cooked rice or noodles (I used egg noodles)
Directions:
Saute onions and garlic in the butter in a hot skillet. Stir in meat, flour, and seasonings, and saute about 5 minutes or until meat is cooked. Add mushrooms, then soup. Simmer about 10 minutes. Stir in the sour cream and heat, but do not boil. Add a little milk if needed (mine was really thick, so I added a little milk straight from the jug until it looked like the consistency I wanted). Season to taste. Serve on hot rice or noodles.

No comments: