Monday, October 13, 2008

Basic Chili

I know that you all have different chili recipes. I decided I would post this one though because it's way simple and so delicious. My Dad took a recipe from the checkerboard cookbook and made some little changes. It's a very good basic chili recipe and is one that Brian requests during the cold season.

Dinners 071

Chili

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 15 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 small can of tomato paste
1 small can of diced green chiles
2 to 3 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp dried basil, crushed
dash of cayenne pepper

Directions:
Cook beef, onions, and garlic until beef is brown and onions are tender. Drain fat. Stir together with all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer (covered) for 20 minutes.

*I forgot the sizes for the tomato paste and green chiles, but they're the smallest sized cans.
*Is delicious served with cheddar cheese and sour cream on top. We also love corn bread with our chili.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

This is the chili I made for the ward cook off. I added black beans and garbanzo beans, and I used a 28 oz can of tomatoes instead of 14.5. I forgot the cayenne pepper, though!

Paula said...

Daddy didn't tell me the cayenne pepper part until more recently. That's basically for if you want it to be more spicy. I don't really like it very spicy, so I just put a little dash.