Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Poppyseed Chicken

Sharon Meilstrup (an old roommate for a few of us :) ) introduced me to this recipe, and it has been a regular occurring meal for us ever since. Paula and Amanda already have this recipe, but I'll post it for the rest of you. Plus, I have made some minute changes to the recipe simply for my own ease in making it (mostly in quantity of chicken since I'm only cooking for two...I like mine saucy, so I didn't decrease the amount of anything other than the chicken).

Poppyseed Chicken
Ingredients:
1 lb. chicken, cubed
1 can cream of chicken soup (cream of mushroom also works)
8 oz. sour cream
1/4 c. (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, melted
1 sleeve of Townhouse or Ritz crackers, crushed
poppyseeds

Directions:
Cook chicken. I usually season mine with salt, pepper, and lemon pepper or garlic salt. In a separate bowl, combine the soup and the sour cream. Add chicken when it is done cooking. Place the crackers in a large ziploc bag and crush into small pieces. Pour melted butter into the bag and toss until the broken up crackers and crumbs are well-coated. In a baking dish (I use our 11x7 dish) spread the chicken first, then pour the crackers on top and spread them out evenly. Sprinkle the top with poppyseeds. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until bubbly. Serve over rice with a vegetable on the side.


*I labeled this 40 minutes because of how long it takes to cook rice. You can have the whole meal ready (including the rice and a vegetable for the side dish) in this amount of time. The dish itself probably takes closer to 30 minutes.

No comments: