Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Hamburger Noodle Casserole

This is once again one of my favorite dinners that we had a lot growing up. I know Jennie and Paul make this one a lot as well. It's so easy and so delicious. I would highly recommend giving this one a try.

Dinners 035

Hamburger Noodle Casserole

Ingredients:
1 lb. hamburger
2 (8 oz.) cans of tomato sauce
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp. salt, dash pepper
1 tsp. sugar
1 (8 oz.) pkg. curly (egg) noodles
6 green onions chopped (less if they're big)
3 oz. cream cheese
8 oz. sour cream
1/2 c. grated cheese (we usually use more than that)

Directions:
Brown beef with minced garlic and drain. Mix in tomato sauce, spices, and sugar. Cook slowly 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile cook noodles and drain. Combine green onions, cream cheese, and sour cream. Mix noodles with beef mixture. In a casserole dish layer about 1/4 of the beef mixture. Then dollop spoonfuls of cream cheese mixture over that (kind of like how you do with lasagna). Repeat layers ending with the beef mixture. Cover with cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until all bubbly.

*The amount of garlic depends on how much you like. The recipe actually only calls for one clove. I usually put 2 and I think Jennie puts more too.
*In my family when we use green onions we use the white part and chop part way up the green (until it gets to the really dark green part). I know some people like to use more of the green than we do...if so, use less onions.

3 comments:

Jennie said...

Yeah, I use two garlic cloves. You forgot to put in the recipe that you put the minced garlic cloves in with the beef when you're browning it. Also, I definitely use more than a half cup of cheese. I'm very generous with my cheese layers. ;)

Paula said...

Thanks Jennie! I fixed those things. Hey, when you make it do you put cheese on all the layers or just the top? The original recipe only tells you to put in on top, but I was curious if you put more.

Jennie said...

Oh! I had no idea the original recipe only says to put it top. I totally put it on every layer. No wonder mine is always so cheesy. :)