Monday, November 17, 2008

Marie Callender's Chicken Pot Pie

This is from Todd Wilber's Top Secret Recipes. It takes a little while to make, but it is worth it. I made this for Sunday dinner and did all the work Sat. night while we watched a scary movie, so all I had to do was roll out the top crust and pop it in the oven.

Crust
1 &1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp. salt
2 egg yolks
3 TBS ice water
2/3 c cold butter
(1 beaten egg to brush on crust) optional

Filling
1 c sliced carrots
1 c sliced celery
2 c frozen peas
1 c chopped white onion
4 chicken breasts
4 TBS butter
5 TBS flour
2 &1/2 C chicken broth
2/3 c milk
1/2 tsp salt
dash pepper

I just make sure I have 5 cups of vegetables- usually a frozen medley of sorts then I don't have to do any cutting at all.

Mix dry crust ingredients, make well in center and all wet ingredients, mix with fork and then your hands to finish. Make into disk- put in fridge for at least an hour

Steam veggies and poach chicken (cook in slightly salted water for 8 to 10 min)
in seperate pan melt butter and whisk in flour- add chicken broth and milk- stir until mixture comes to a boil, then cook for 1 more minute before reducing heat to low. Add all the chicken and the veggies and salt and pepper. Simmer on low for 5 minutes. Put into casserole dish (I like to spray dish with Pam first for easy cleaning)

Roll out dough the shape of the dish- seal on top of dish folding edges under. brush with egg if desired. His recipe calls for cooking in 6 individual ramekins, but I'm to lazy for that (and don't have the ramekins).

Bake 425*F for approx. 30 minutes (he says 30-45, but mine is always done by 30)

I can't find my picture, but will add it as soon as I've located it.

No comments: