Monday, November 10, 2008

Almond Poppyseed Mini Muffins with Glaze

Way back when we went to Crate and Barrel and bought our grill pan, we also bought a mini muffin pan. I finally used it for the first time yesterday! I needed to bring a dessert to the ward new member social, and I completely forgot about it before yesterday, so I had to make something with ingredients I already had on hand. I turned to...you guessed it! Allrecipes.com!

This recipe is for Poppy Seed Bread with Glaze, but I saw in the comments that someone had made mini muffins with batter they had leftover. So I did some research on how long to bake mini muffins, and decided to give it a shot! They were a big hit! All 72 mini muffins are already gone.


Almond Poppyseed Mini Muffins with Glaze
Ingredients:
3 c. flour
1 1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. baking powder
3 T. poppy seeds (this was a LOT of poppy seeds...2 T. may have been enough)
1 1/3 c. vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
2 1/4 c. sugar
2 t. vanilla
2 t. almond extract

Glaze:
1/4 c. orange juice
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. almond extract
2 c. powdered sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease mini muffin pan. Mix together flour, salt, baking powder, and poppy seeds. Add oil, eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and almond extract and mix well. Spoon into prepared muffin pan. About 1 heaping tablespoon per muffin. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until lightly golden.

Meanwhile, prepare glaze by mixing the wet ingredients and then adding powdered sugar until it reaches the desired consistency. I used all 2 cups.

Remove muffins from pan and transfer to a wire rack. While still warm (but not too warm! don't burn yourself! ;) ) dip the top of each muffin in the glaze. Allow excess to drip off before returning muffins to the wire rack to cool.

**Spray muffin pan between each batch so the muffins are easy to remove.

**The original recipe calls for butter flavored extract. I don't even know what that is, let alone have it in my cupboard. The comments on allrecipes.com said it was ok to leave it out, so I slightly adjusted the amounts of vanilla and almond extract to make up for it.

**By the way, as you know, I always let the measuring spoon overflow into the bowl when I'm dealing with vanilla. Almond extract on the other hand, is rather strong stuff. I never let the measuring spoon overflow with it, in fact, I always slightly underfill the measuring spoon.

Here's a link to the original recipe if you'd prefer to make bread instead of muffins: Poppy Seed Bread with Glaze.

No comments: