Monday, November 24, 2008

Chicken Cutlets

I haven't posted for a really long time, so I figured it was about time!
Chicken Cutlets is a really easy, yummy, and looks fancier than how long it actually took me.
from: the "I DO" cookbook

Sorry I wasn't able to get a good picture. I already put in my leftovers for lunch in a container before taking the picture, but you can see the Mornay sauce and parsley flakes on top.

Ingredients:

- 4 chicken breasts or 8 small chicken strips depending on what kind of chicken you buy. You can be your own judge, but I usually use more chicken than what it says and you'll see why later, but I don't like to waste ingredients and it makes great leftovers.
- 1 cup buttermilk or I use just a half a pint- it's a little over 1 cup, and I am talking about 1 Tbl. so I just use it all
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1-1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs- I don't really measure, I just pour a little at a time on a plate and coat the chicken, so I may use more than what they say.
- 2 Tablespoons of butter- I honestly don't think I use this much butter, but it is used to coat the top of the chicken, so again use your best judgment

Instructions:
Mix buttermilk, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in bag or bowl. Add chicken and marinate for 30-1 hour, they say overnight taste better, but I have never tried it. Drain chicken, chicken should still be fairly coated. Coat chicken with bread crumbs, melt butter and coat chicken with brush or pour on top. Cook in oven for 20-25 mins or until golden brown at 350 degrees.

I enjoy eating this on top of spaghetti noodles, I am sure any type of noodles would taste great. I also add a Mornay sauce on top of chicken and sprinkle parsley flakes on top of sauce.

Mornay Sauce:
- 2 Tbl. butter - I use all this butter
- 1 1/2 Tbl. flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup half n' half milk
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese - I use grated Parmesan cheese and it taste great, so use whatever is convenient for you.

Instructions:
Melt butter in sauce pan. Stir in flour. Using whisk, stir in chicken broth and half n' half. Bring to a gentle boil (I use medium heat the whole time) - about 2 mins. Add Parmesan cheese - simmer for 2 mins (It makes 1 1/2 cups)

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I just found your website on Jennie's! But wanted to say that this sounds so yummy, I am going to make it tonight for my family! What a great idea to share recipes...I have such a hard time finding NEW things that my kids will actually eat! :)