Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Spaghetti alla Carbonara

I found this recipe randomly one day when I came across this blog. I had a couple classes with Lillian at BYU, but I had no idea she was such a cook! Her blog is full of yummy looking things, and after trying this recipe, I'm sure I'll be trying more of her ideas in the future.

The most interesting thing about this recipe is the way it is prepared. It's easy, but definitely different. Because of how it is made, the pasta tastes like it has a cream sauce, but there is no cream in it. It is really delicious, and I highly recommend it.

Spaghetti alla Carbonara
Ingredients:
3 eggs
3/4 c. Parmesan cheese*, grated
1/4 c. romano cheese, grated...or you can use a whole cup of either cheese (I used all Parmesan because that's what I had)
3 garlic cloves, minced
8 oz. bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
3 T. olive oil
1/2 c. dry white wine (I just bought a small bottle of white cooking wine. It's in the same aisle as the vinegar and salad dressing at the grocery store.)
1 lb. spaghetti (or linguine or fettucine...I used linguine)
salt and pepper

*I used the powdered grated Parmesan cheese because that's what I had. I think if you used fresh grated Parmesan or romano cheese the pasta would come out more smooth, but it was still delicious when I made it.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place an empty oven-safe serving bowl in the oven. Meanwhile, boil water for the pasta.

Mix together the eggs, cheese, and garlic with a whisk. Set aside. Cook the bacon in the oil until crispy. Add wine and simmer until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cover. When the water is boiling, add 1 T. salt and the pasta. Stir frequently. Cook until pasta until it is al dente (about 8 minutes, or according to package). Reserve 1/2 c. pasta water, and then drain the pasta.

Remove serving bowl from the oven and add the pasta to the bowl. Immediately pour the egg mixture and the bacon mixture over the pasta and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. The hot bowl and hot pasta cook the egg as you toss it. Add the reserved pasta water if you need to loosen the sauce before serving. Serve with additional grated cheese.


Here's a link to the original recipe (her picture looks even more delicious): Spaghetti alla Carbonara.

No comments: