Monday, February 16, 2009

Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas

I'm going to finally catch up on posting recipes today. I haven't made anything new (that turned out well, anyway ;) ) lately, so it's a good chance to get caught up.

I can't remember when I made these enchiladas, it was that long ago, but they were very yummy! Because of my previous experience using canned chipotle chiles for Chili Chicken Tacos, I knew they were quite spicy. So, when I saw that the recipe called for 1-2 tablespoons of them, I definitely knew I would be using a scant 1 tablespoon. ;)

Another Chef Britta hit!


Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas
Ingredients:
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 T vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 t. ground cumin
1 to 2 T. canned chipotles in adobo, minced
1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth
1/2 c. water
6-inch flour tortillas
2 c. grated Pepper Jack cheese

Directions:
Boil chicken* until done (about 15 minutes). Drain and shred chicken with two forks. Set aside. While chicken is cooking make the sauce. In a medium saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for about a minute. Add flour, cumin, and chipotle chiles and cook for another minute, whisking constantly. Whisk in chicken broth and water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 5-8 minutes (until sauce thickens slightly), whisking occasionally. Season with salt and pepper. Pour 1 cup of the sauce over the shredded chicken and stir to combine.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pour 1/4 c. sauce into the bottom of an 8x8 baking dish. Assemble enchiladas by filling each one with chicken and sprinkling with cheese. Then, roll them up and place them seam down in the baking dish. Pour over remaining sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until cheese bubbles, about 20 minutes.

*Chef Britta's recipe has you steam the chicken in one inch of boiling water in a skillet with a tight fitting lid. I don't have a skillet with a tight fitting lid, so I just boiled the chicken and it worked fine. If you would like to try it Chef Britta's way, you can follow her directions.

Anyway, these enchiladas were delicious! I liked that they were different from traditional enchiladas. Quite exciting. As usual, here's a link to the original recipe on Chef Britta's blog: Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas.

Also, I decided we should have a Mexican label. Eventually, I'll go back and label past Mexican recipes, but for the future you guys can all start using it. :)

No comments: