Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Bride's Biscuits

(Again, sorry no pictures)
From the Essential Mormon Cookbook (Stan says it should be one of our standard works- I love most all the recipes-esp. the corn bread- just typing that makes me want to eat another warm slice with butter and honey)

I like these biscuits because you can leave them in the fridge for up to one week and make them as desired. Also, they fluff up really nice and do those layers like Grand's biscuits do.

1pgk dry yeast
1/2 c warm water
5 c flour
3 TBS sugar
1 TBS baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 c shortening or butter (I used shortening and they turned out really well)
2 c. buttermilk (remember you can make it easy 1TBS of lemon juice per c of buttermilk in recipe and then fill cup with enough milk to equal the liquid amount. sit for 10 min. before using

dissolve yeast in warm water. let stand 10 min (if making buttermilk do so now)
sift dry ingred. tog. cut in shortening.
comb. buttermilk and yeast mixture- add to dry ingred. working only until moistened
cover and refrig. several hours or up to a week
carefully roll out onto well floured surface 1/2 in thick (I worked the dough with flour before rolling it out to get the consistency I needed)
Cut with biscuit cutter (or a glass like I do)
bake on greased sheets for 15 min at 400* F

Makes 3 dozen biscuits

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Nice to see you posting again, Robin! :) I'm excited to try these biscuits and the stew!