Thursday, November 12, 2009

Pico de Gallo

I was just going to chop up some tomatoes and onions for our salads last night, but at the last minute, I decided that I wanted to find out how to make pico de gallo. I did a quick search on allrecipes.com. I found a recipe that was easy, highly rated, AND I happened to have all the ingredients on hand. It was supposed to refrigerate it for at least 3 hours before serving, and I only had 1 1/2, so I just threw it together as fast as I could.

I'm glad I did it, though. It was delicious and just added to the authenticity of our whole makeshift "Cafe Rio" experience. :)

Pico de Gallo
Ingredients:
3 roma tomatoes, diced (I only had two, and we survived ;) )
1/4 onion, diced (the recipe specified red onion, but I had a white one and it worked fine)
1 1/2 T. fresh chopped cilantro
1/4 jalapeno, seeded, diced (I just stole a tiny bit of the jalapeno I used for the tomatillo sauce)
juice from 1/4 lime (I just used what I had leftover from the lime I used for the rice)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pinch garlic powder
1 pinch cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and refrigerate until needed (at least three hours according to the recipe, but it was still good after 1 1/2). Feel free to taste and add spices as desired.


Next time I will take the time to dice the tomatoes and onion really evenly so that it looks prettier. I was in a big hurry this time. :)

Here's a link to the original recipe (notice that I halved it): Pico de Gallo.

No comments: