Thursday, September 17, 2009

Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad

I really, really enjoyed this recipe. I got it at an enrichment activity cooking class. I'm not sure if I've ever had the salad it was named after at Applebee's, but if it's anything like this salad, I'm sure I'd love it! The dressing is my favorite part. :) If you're not a Dijon mustard person, don't worry, I couldn't taste the mustard in the dressing.

Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad
Ingredients:
Dressing
6 T. honey
3 T. rice wine vinegar
1/2 c. mayonnaise
2 t. Dijon mustard
1/2 t. sesame oil

Salad
1-2 frozen, breaded chicken tenderloin(s) per person (or more, if you are Paul ;) )
2 c. green cabbage, sliced thin
2 c. red cabbage, sliced thin
6 c. romaine lettuce, chopped (I just bought a bag of it, pre-chopped.)
1 carrot, shredded
2 green onions, chopped (including the green part)
1/4 c. toasted sliced almonds (I left this out because I don't care for nuts in salads.)
2/3 c. chow mein noodles


Directions:
Cook the chicken according to the directions on the package (you can also cook your own if you're feeling ambitious, or use grilled chicken to make it more healthy). Mix all the dressing ingredients together. I recommend using an airtight container and shaking it to thoroughly mix the ingredients. Toss the ingredients for the salad. You can either toss the salad with the dressing, or pour the dressing on top of each serving.* Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and put it on top of each salad.

*I knew that Paul and I could never finish this much salad in one sitting, so I didn't toss the whole salad with the dressing. Instead, I saved the dressing and salad in different containers and was able to enjoy the leftovers for lunch over the next couple days! :) I don't think it would save very well with the dressing already on it (it would become soggy).

No comments: