Thursday, July 23, 2009

Trifle ( It honestly needs a new name for how good it really was)

I made this for my 2nd anniversary and it was absolutely delicious!!!

1 (3oz) package of strawberry gelatin (jello)
1 (3.4 oz) package instant cheesecake pudding mix* (Jeff doesn't like cheesecake so I used Vanilla)
1 (11 oz) angel food cake loaf
2 cups of strawberries
2 med bananas
Blueberries - this wasn't in the recipe but I add some anyways- it was really good
1/2 pint whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

1. Mix jello according to pkg. directions. Refrigerate until slightly thickened. (I put 3/4 cup boiling water, 1/2 cup cold water, and ice cubes- it helps it thicken a lot faster - remove remaining ice cubes)
2. Mix pudding mix according to pkg directions. Set aside.
3. Cut angel food cake in half. Break up one half the cake and place in 3 quart trifle bowl- ( I just used a big glass bowl- whether it was trifle bowl or not I have no idea)
4. Cap, wash and slice strawberries into halves. Sprinkle one cup berries over cake in bowl (this is also where I added the blueberries)
5. Pour one cup thickened jello over cake and fruit.
6. Slice one banana over mixture in bowl. Top with half of pudding.
7. Whip cream in small mixing bowl with sugar and vanilla
8. Spread whipped cream over pudding layer.
9. Repeat layers, ending with whipped cream and garnish with extra berries, if desired (I also as added blueberries on top as you can see)

*Substitute vanilla or white chocolate instant pudding mix, if preferred

1 comment:

Paula said...

Yum!! This is such a perfect summer dessert. Thanks for posting!