Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Blueberry Cream Muffins (with streusel topping)

Hello!! It has been far too long since there has been a new post on this blog. My excuse is that I've been having computer issues...but the truth is, like many excuses, it is only an excuse. There was nothing keeping me from looking for my lost camera cord. Ah well! I finally did find it, and that's what matters, I suppose.

I've looked through my camera, and I have seven wonderful recipes to share with you. I think I'll start with the most recent though, because it is pretty much my favorite of them all.

Here in Oregon, it is blueberry season! It is so cool to go and pick your own blueberries (for the fraction of what they normally cost at the grocery store)! I went picking for the first time last week, and they were delicious. I barely had enough left for baking after all the berries James and I ate...in fact, I actually didn't have enough, so I supplemented with frozen blueberries.

Anyway, I found this recipe on allrecipes.com. I actually combined two recipes and a couple comments from users. Here's what I ended up with:

Blueberry Cream Muffins with Streusel Topping
Ingredients:
4 eggs
1 1/4 c. white sugar
1 1/4 c. brown sugar
1 c. oil
1 t. vanilla
2 c. sour cream
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
4 c. flour
3 c. blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Streusel topping:
1/3 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 c. butter (1/2 stick)


Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare muffin pan(s) by lining with paper liners or greasing the pan.

Beat eggs. Gradually stir in sugar (both kinds), while still beating. Stir in oil, vanilla, and sour cream. Mix until smooth. Add salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.* Gently stir in flour. Do not overmix; stir until just combined (batter will be slightly lumpy). Carefully fold in blueberries.

Prepare streusel topping by mixing all the ingredients together. I started with a fork, but quickly set it aside and just mixed with my hands. Mix until crumbly.

Fill muffin liners all the way to the top. This recipe makes 24 large (bakery sized) muffins, so you don't need to worry about running out of batter. Sprinkle streusel topping generously on each muffin. Bake for 20-25 minutes. I almost took my first batch out too early. I found that it took about 24 minutes in my oven. I tested the muffins by using a toothpick; when it came out clean, they were done.

*Of course, the original recipe has you mix together the dry ingredients separately. Feel free to do this if you want. I'm just lazy. ;)


Here are links to the main recipe that I used: Blueberry Cream Muffins. I used the suggestions of the commenter MommyFromSeattle (her comment is on the top right now).

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Want - but I think for the first brunch I'll do the Real Simple little chocolate croissants and your dad's orange rolls. Also a cheesy grits casserole, rosemary baked pears, potato pancakes with chive yogurt, and deviled eggs (labor intensive, I know).

And then orange juice, milk, and champagne. :-)

Have you ever used myrecipe.com? I am loving it!