Wednesday, January 14, 2009

BBQ Beef Bowls

Paul is a big fan of rice bowls (as you can imagine, with his love for rice ;) ). I knew this would be a recipe he would like as soon as I read it. I found it on kraftfoods.com. The recipe on the site got mixed reviews, but mostly because people seemed to be surprised that it had a barbecue flavor rather than a taco seasoning flavor (which doesn't make much sense because taco seasoning is NOT one of the ingredients, but whatever). I thought barbecue would be interesting in a rice bowl, so I tried it. They tasted good! And as long as you realize that it's not going to taste like taco meat, I recommend you give it a try. ;)

BBQ Beef Bowls
Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 c. frozen corn
1/2 c. barbecue sauce (the recipe obviously calls for KRAFT barbecue sauce, but you can use whatever you want, of course)
3 c. rice, cooked
cheese (again, because it's a KRAFT website, it actually calls for a slice of Velveeta on each bowl...I used grated cheddar ;) )
green onions, chopped


Directions:
Cook rice (oh how I love my rice cooker!). Meanwhile, cook beef with onions and bell peppers until meat is browned. Add tomatoes, corn, and barbecue sauce, and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon rice into bowls. Top with meat mixture, cheese, and green onions. (I forgot the green onions when we had it, as you can see from the picture. )

For some reason, Blogger won't let me add a link to the recipe right now, but you can find the original at kraftfoods.com by searching for "BBQ Beef Bowls".

No comments: